Are you at risk for osteoporosis?
- During menopause, estrogen levels produced by the ovaries decreases significantly leading to an increased risk of bone loss.
- Surgical menopause which happens with removal of the ovaries,accelerates bone loss unless replacement estrogen therapy is started.
- Inadequate intake of calcium throughout life increases the risk of bone loss since calcium is an important component of bone.
- Caucasian and Asian women are at increased risk of osteoporosis.
- A sedentary lifestyle puts women at greater risk of developing osteoporosis.
- A history of eating disorders increases the risk of osteoporosis.
- Women whose family history includes osteoporosis has an increased risk of bone loss.
- Some medications such as diuretics, steroids, anticonvulsants, and increase the risk as well.
- Women who smoke or drink alcohol experience an increased incidence of osteoporosis.