>I’ve had the honor of being invited to tour the newest medical facility within the compound of Philippine General Hospital. The old Faculty and Medical Arts Building was renovated and restructured into a modern and state of the art health care facility which is now called, UNIVERSITY PHYSICIANS MEDICAL CENTER (UPMC).
UPMC is the first one stop-multi-specialty ambulatory health care facility in the Philippines. This breakthrough in ambulatory medicine is headed by Dr. Edwin Mercado who is also the President and CEO of Daniel Mercado Medical Center that’s been operational for 54 years. This new facility boasts of medical equipments that are all state of the art and top of the line.
UPMC offers out-patient clinical services such as Anesthesiology, Dentistry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurosciences, Obstetrics-Gynecology, Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Orthopedics, Otorhinolaryngology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation Medicine and Surgery (ambulatory surgery).
Ancillary services are also offered such as Laboratory, Radiology (X-ray, Mammogram, Colonoscopy, Fluoroscopy, etc) , Nuclear Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Neuro Rehabilitation, Cardiovascular, Pharmacy and Operating Room.
What makes UPMC stand out is the doctors who will look after you. They are all consultants and graduates of University of the Philippines College of Medicine and most are also faculty of UPM. UPMC is therefore a healthcare facility where in the creme of the crop gathers aiming to advance the quality of health care services given to Filipinos.
Imagine a Pediatric Department with 38 Pediatric consultants waiting to serve you everyday. This would also mean less
(wasted time) waiting time on doctor’s clinics and most especially immediate intervention will be given to your ailing child. I was also told that even pediatric sub specialty consultants will be available (yay to that!).
I think UPMC is good news because a typical scenario among Class C and lower Filipino families is that in order for them to get a world class healthcare service, they will empty their savings or submit themselves to deep debts. With UPMC’s mission and vision which is ultimately to provide Filipino families with affordable world class out-patient, this scenario is about to change. And I am truly relieved to know that.
How Affordable is AFFORDABLE at UPMC?
Just add 5-10% on Philippine General Hospital’s price range and you will get UPMC’s prices. To be exact, a painless Mammogram would usually cost you P2,500 +++ with the other World Class Hospitals but UPMC will charge you only P995 (all charges included!). The consultation fee ranges from P400- P500 depending on the specialty of the consultant.
University Physicians Medical Center will officially inaugurate on January 10, 2011 and will be fully operational from then on.
Other Cool things I personally liked about UNIVERSITY PHYSICIANS MEDICAL CENTER:
1. They are fully digitized. When you get your customer number, the system will automatically queue you on your next department destination. Example, I first get my customer number and wait for my number to be flashed on the TV screens (which by the way are scattered at several points all over the building). I go a specific department when my number is flashed on the screen. When done, the system will automatically queue me on the CASHIER department if it’s my next destination. Cool, yes?
2. Very efficient. UPMC created a system where in patients don’t need to wait for long hours to have their medical problems addressed.
3. Private medical facility at an affordable price.
4. The administration is very open to new innovation which I think is a key in providing a better health care service to the people.
5. Consultants are from one of the best medical schools in our country.
For more information you can visit UPMC’s website http://www.upmc.net.ph/
and Like them on Facebook too!
Fun Photos we took at University Physician Medical Center:
|having fun with the CT-SCAN machine|
|64- slice CT-SCAN machine|
|Monitor posted on several points of the facility to show your queuing number|
|Fluoroscopy Digital Result- Real time result|
|Tube to send Lab specimen to the laboratory|